Improving Teaching and Learning
The Center for Educational Improvement (CEI) offers professional development, training, and consulting services to principals, teachers, leadership teams, and districts. By sharing evidence-based 21st century innovations in learning, we help you raise student performance in culturally sensitive and uplifting ways.
CEI will customize our services to your needs. We can deliver them in-person on-site, remotely via the web, or in blended formats (combining in person and virtual)— including our Wow!™ approach.
Range of Services
We offer school leaders a wide range of professional development services:
- Mentoring and coaching principals in innovations to become transformational leaders who support continuous improvement, build staff capacity and morale, and embrace data-driven decision-making. We are particularly focused on a collaboration with NAESP to develop principal mentoring for instructional leadership.
- Closing the gap between what is known about student achievement and what is practiced in schools—particularly in the areas of rigor in the classroom; neuroscience; science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM); and Heart Centered Education (our signature approach to social emotional learning compassion, courage, confidence, consciousness, and community).
- Building conscious school communities through visioning and facilitating communication, leadership, and heart centered activities. CEI embraces cultural diversity in all aspects of our service delivery.
- Designing protocol, curriculum, and instructional strategies harnessing data to personalize instruction in mixed-ability classrooms and increase student engagement and self-determination. Our approach is inclusive. We help you personalize, differentiate, and scaffold instruction to meet the unique needs of students who are English language learners, have been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder or other disabilities, or have specific gifts and talents.
- Unleashing every school’s potential to be a great school—building on the strengths and interests of the schools while introducing innovations and improving practices.
CEI’s team offers cutting-edge, practical, hands-on workshops to lead your school or district to excellence, such as our Rigor Workshops and STEM Workshops. We also offer training modules customized to meet your individual school or district’s needs. Our training modules can be delivered in one- to three-hour sessions or combined into multi-day workshops. Please select a training module category below to learn more about our them.
As we begin 2014, CEI is spotlighting a few of our most popular modules:
|When and How to Reteach: Sometimes the most effective way to increase student learning is to reteach a topic until a student masters it. Let us help you determine when reteaching is appropriate. We consider reteaching in light of academic rigor, mastery, and personalization of instruction.||Data-Driven Instruction: Data-driven instruction is a proven method for improving student achievement. In this module, you will learn to identify, gather, and analyze the most useful assessment data to meet high academic standards and make critical instructional decisions.||Adding Wow! to Your Class: Using basic theatrical strategies enhances student engagement. This module is not intended to turn you into a late-night comedian, but it is geared to helping you add some mystery, drama, and timing changes to your classroom to captivate students.|
|Executive Skills and Self-Directed Learners: Students can be taught to reflect on what they are doing and step back or take a “time-out.” This pause provides a mental space that pulls them away from the immediate activity and invites them to evaluate what is happening. Let us help you plan ways to build executive and metacognitive skills.||Change Leadership: What makes an effective change leader? How do we accelerate the rate of change or develop a culture of continuous improvement, particularly in light of the Common Core and other high academic standards? We blend research-based innovations with practical interventions to address expedite change.||Math Makeovers: How do we improve math teaching and learning? We explore practices that have been effective in turning math programs from ineffective to successful. Learn what your colleagues in the United States and globally are doing to raise student engagement to an entirely refreshed level.|
|Courageous Leadership for Aspiring Leaders: A highly effective teacher is the most influential person impacting student achievement while a principal is the single most influential person in a school. In this module, we review the skills and strategies used by courageous leaders.||Classroom Observation to Enhance Early Language: Classroom observation can be a powerful instructional tool to help you nourish children’s early literacy and language development. We offer multiple tools and insights for effective observation and feedback strategies—useful for school principals, teachers, and other educational leaders.||Integrating the Arts: Educational research extolls the importance of arts education. Whether it is the role of dopamine in engaging learners or the growth of empathy found in students who play musical instruments together, research proves the arts improve learning and readiness for college.|
Please contact Dr. Christine Mason at email@example.com or (800) 386-2377 for more information on pricing and/or bringing CEI’s professional development services to your school, district, or conference. To design a customized approach for your school, district, or conference, we offer two hours of free consultation.