Now offering workshops, technical assistance and research on trauma, mindfulness, and heart centered learning. We travel to you!
Workshops are based on CEI developmental activities and research over the past 5 years and on our forth-coming book with authors: Drs. Mason, Michele Rivers Murphy, and Yvette Jackson. Learn facts, consider the bio-neurological implications for child development, and find out how teachers and schools can alleviate developmental trauma and toxic stress.
Workshop presenters include Dr. Mason, Michele Rivers Murphy, Yvette Jackson, and other CEI faculty.
STEM/STEAM New in 2017
- Preschool Makerspaces. Get your students actively involved in designing and making projects. From the simple to the sublime. Participants plan together and gain hands-on experiences that they can take to their classrooms. A session to stimulate your intellect and your curiosity. If you love to teach, this is a session for you!
- Incorporating Play and Nature into the Preschool Curriculum. Roll up your sleeves and get prepared for some serious play! We help you consider developmental needs, safety considerations, and the fun factor. Take a walk in the woods with us. Participants learn about the why’s and how’s of structured play, improving playground experiences, stimulating curiosity, and why the “back to nature” movement has a place in preschools.
- Designing Schools for STEAM: Placing your School in a Larger Ecosystem. Our leader guides you through the process she used to create an innovative space that is designed for STEM/STEAM. Now offering this session in New England with Jillayne Flanders, award winning principal and CEI Trainer.
CEI offers professional development on the most effective ways to infuse 21st century science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEM/STEAM) curricula and strategies into classrooms. We provide customized training for Pre-K through Grade 12 and an array of STEM/STEAM workshops:
- Introduction to STEM/STEAM: 6 Approaches to STEM/STEAM
- STEM + “A” = Adding Art
- STEAM Learning Centers
- STEM Problem Solving, and
- How STEM contributes to 21st Century Literacy
- Using Adobe Photoshop to support STEM (specific sessions for middle school teachers)
- Preschool Makerspaces
- Incorporating Play and Nature into the Preschool Curriculum
- Designing Your School for STEAM: Placing Your School into a Larger Ecosystem
We also travel to you as part of our STEM/STEAM road show. Our introductory workshop will give you a broad overview of nature-based, play-based, and museum approaches. We also provide general guidelines for introducing STEM/STEAM through problem-solving, maker-spaces and advanced 21st century technologies. We can help you make decisions about the right fit for your school and your community.
According to participants in recent sessions in Washington DC, New York and Florida, our workshops are “practical,” “highly engaging,” and “filled with examples that teachers can immediately implement.” Participants appreciate our trainers’ enthusiasm, high energy levels, and knowledge of implementing STEM/STEAM without purchasing expensive curricula.
Meet Our STEM/STEAM Trainers
Orinthia Harris and Brandi Carrington are our primary trainers. They are dynamic educators with more than 10 years of experience both inside and outside the classroom. With a passion for making learning engaging, Orinthia, often assisted by Brandi, offers effective and rigorous STEM/STEAM workshops and technical assistance that enables teachers to “fast track” the math and science proficiency of students, and also helps to ignite the creativity and enthusiasm of young learners.
Just Added in New England! Jillayne Flanders, CEI Trainer, and award winning Principal, offers sessions on school architecture and designing preschools for STEAM.
Learn more about our Road Show and workshop series for elementary teachers and early educators. We can help you arrange a group training for your community.
Please contact Dr. Christine Mason (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information on opportunities to develop customized workshops supporting your school, district, or conference activity.